Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 14: What I Learned: Twelfth's Night, or What You Will

What did I learn? I learned that the stupid "identical twin brother and sister" premise has been going on for centuries. Why would everyone in Twelfth Night meet Sebastian and think he was his sister Viola, who has been posing as a man the whole play? Because they're twins. And in the popular imagination that means that they look EXACTLY alike. No exceptions. 

Sigh.

This is particularly annoying to me because my brother and sister ARE twins (and no, they're not identical because THAT DOESN'T EXIST) and trust me, no amount of wigs would make them look alike. No amount.

So I guess I learned nothing from Twelfth Night because that one plot point was so distracting that it's all I can think about.

Oh, but I did watch a lot more Downton Abbey after reading it. But I probably would have anyway.

Wait, I did learn one thing! The quotes, "If music be the food of love, play on" (which sounds smarmy in any context) and "some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrown upon them" are from this play. That second quote I was sure was from Oscar Wilde. So yes, I learned something!

No comments:

Post a Comment