Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 153: Finally! It's time to talk about My Own Private Idaho

via
I've been waiting to talk about this movie since I first started the Shakespeare project in January. As I was searching for more things to say about Henry IV Part I this week, it hit me: that's the play My Own Private Idaho is based on! Sort of. It's more like a sleepy version of Midnight Cowboy with a slight dash of Scotland PA thrown in. 

And speaking of sleepy...
River Phoenix, seen here not demonstrating how narcolepsy works (via)

I would just like to, once and for all, call bullshit on River Phoenix's character's "narcoleptic fits" in the movie. Let me tell you, I have narcolepsy. My father had it. My sister has it. I know whereof I speak on this one (despite what they show in the movies). You don't have a "fit" followed by an elaborate dream sequence that results in you waking up in another state! NARCOLEPSY IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH RUFIES!

Glad I cleared that up.

And since we're talking My Own Private Idaho...

Has anyone seen James Franco's "personal director's cut" remake of the original Gus Van Sant movie that highlights River Phoenix's performance, called My Own Private River? I'm guessing no one has ever seen this, ever. BUT IF YOU HAVE PLEASE TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT IN THE COMMENTS!!!

via

No comments:

Post a Comment