Saturday, January 30, 2016

Timon of Athens is an undiscovered gem that makes this whole project worthwhile

I just finished Timon of Athens and I absolutely loved it. I didn't expect to like it, considering it takes place in ancient Greece (not a fan of Shakespeare's ancient Greek and Roman plays in general) and it's one of his least known plays. But it was absolutely hilarious! Granted, it's technically a tragedy so I'm not sure if I was supposed to find it so funny, but that's beside the point.

I'll write more about it once I've reached my goal (only a month left and still 10 plays to go), but for now I'll just say this: If I hadn't set this goal of reading ALL the plays, there would still be some plays that I probably would have read eventually, like King Lear or The Taming of the Shrew, but there's no way I would have read Timon of Athens. I mean, why would I have? Who would have recommended it to me? Has anyone ever recommended it to you? So if for no other reason than I got to discover this delightful gem, I am very thankful I set this task for myself. Well worth it.

Okay, more about this and the rest of the plays later. For now, I have some reading to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment