Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 84: What I Learned: Antony and Cleopatra

So, uh, I don't know what's going on here...I don't remember this from the play. It's apparently from a 2010 Cape Town production of Antony and Cleopatra. You can see a review here.
I'm not sure how much I actually learned from Antony and Cleopatra. The language is rich and fun to read, but there are SO MANY scenes that I lost track of all the things that are supposed to be happening and which ones I was supposed to keep track of. Mostly I just pictured Elizabeth Taylor. Except half the time it wasn't even Elizabeth Taylor from the movie Cleopatra; it was Liz from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It kind of still works, actually. I'm going to try picturing Liz Taylor for more Shakespeare characters and see where it takes me.

I'm sorry I don't have more to say about this one. I kind of feel like the Roman plays are ones that I should be reading in a classroom, with someone explaining the actual history along side the dramatic interpretation. I can only imagine how I'll feel when I get to the English histories. In addition to not watching the HBO show Rome, I have also not watched The Tudors. So I guess I'll just have to remember history class or do some additional research or something.

Sigh.

What's next? Coriolanus? Oh man, NO ONE HAS EVEN HEARD OF THAT ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment